Weather in Athens in February tends to be windy rainy and chilly. During the day we have cool winds and usually towards the noon hours and evenings rain is quite common.
Luckily Athens is equipped with one of the most efficient subway systems, and this is an important point to consider, as it makes up for your visits around the city when the rainy weather of February hits.
The precipitation in February in Athens is about 3.8 inches of rain.
Temperatures in Athens in February
- Average High temperatures in February 58F (13c)
- Average Low temperatures in February 49F(9c)
What to wear in February in Athens
- Pack and umbrella, you will be lucky to have it when it starts to rain.
- A waterproof jacket or raincoat is recommended.
- Pack pullovers, sweatshirts, pants and of course a good pair of boots.
- Keep in mind that even though the weather can be cloudy, there will always be many sunny days, therefore keep your sunglasses close by.
Valentines Day in Athens and the Famous Downtown Carnival
February is known for Valentine’s Day, and in Athens it can be a fun experience.
A great way to show your sweethearts how special they are to you, is to take them to Dionysos restaurant located right across from the Acropolis itself. The roof garden allows for an outstanding view of this notorious temple, not to mention the excellent menu offered to satisfy everyone’s tastes.
February in Athens is also Carnival month. The carnival in Athens begins with a flamboyant parade which begins in the Moschato area.
The traditional idea behind the carnival is to enjoy ourselves and rejoice with food and drink, since this period of happiness and fun is followed by 40 days of fasting which ends on the Greek Orthodox Easter Sunday.
Things to see and do in February in Athens
- Enjoy the changing of the guards right in front of Parliament Square.
- Visit the famous Music Hall of Athens, where many symphonic orchestras from all over the world come to play.
- Visit the Lyric Theatre, where you can enjoy world renown ballets and famous plays.
- Take a walk to the Archaeological Museum of the Acropolis, or to the Parthenon itself, where you can see the sound and light show organized by the municipality of Athens.
- Don”t forget to shop till you drop! Where? Well of course at The Mall. Here you can browse in its many brand name shops for anything your heart desires! These stores are located both indoors and outdoors so the weather will not be a problem for your shopping in Athens. Not to mention the numerous cinemas…
Why visit Athens in February
The low winter month prices, are still in effect, when considering flights and hotels in Athens.If you have some free time, visiting Athens in February is not a bad idea at all.
The weather in Athens in February as you can see is not going to cause any major problems, which means that as the humidity also keep rising so will the sun. There will be enough sunny days and you shouldn’t travel without your sun glassess.Weather forecast for Athens, Greece
More info about Weather in Athens
- Weather in Athens in January
- Weather in Athens in February
- Weather in Athens in March
- Weather in Athens in April
- Weather in Athens in May
- Weather in Athens in June
- Weather in Athens in July
- Weather in Athens in August
- Weather in Athens in September
- Weather in Athens in October
- Weather in Athens in November
- Weather in Athens in December