Weather in Athens in December tends to be quite chilly and wet.
Snow flurries are not uncommon for the more northern areas of the city of Athens. On occasion it has snowed downtown, but this tends to be the exception to the general rule.
Often strong winds prevail, especially around the evening hours.
Temperatures in December in Athens
- Average High temperature in December: 56F (13c)
- Average Low temperature in December: 36F (3c)
What to wear in December in Athens
When planning a trip to this ancient city of the Greek gods, the weather is something important to take in to consideration:
Pack winter outfits, including accessories such as gloves, scarves, hats, toques, mittens, and of course warm socks, for those cooler evenings, or for travelling outside the city, to areas with a higher altitude.
Bring along your coat, jacket, and of course long pants, and boots, or a good pair of walking shoes.
Things to see and do in December in Athens
Keep in mind, that the weather in December is cool but not extremely cold. Since December is the month for Christmas, all preparations, store window decorations, and great holiday shopping, are great ideas for the holiday season.
- Visit the Attica Department Store. The most elite and luxurious shopping center of the downtown area. Shopping in Athens for Christmas is fun!
- Travel to the more northern suburbs such as Penteli. Dine here, and feast on roast lamb, spare ribs, and enjoy the fireplace available at every taverna.
- Take a drive to Varimbobi. Again a great area for any sort of roast, and other Greek delicasies such as pheasant, deer, and wild boar.
- Keeping in mind the Christmas season, all of the downtown areas offer Christmas Brunch, Christmas Eve dinners, and ballroom dances. Every hotel offers a special Christmas package, including dinner and dancing.
- Just a couple of hours outside of Athens, is Arachova. This is a small ski town, situated in the mountainous hills. This town is the Mykonos of winter. Every skier comes here at least once. Great shops for ski attire, brand names, and anything for the typical skier. Also great bars, for those colds evenings with music. Local restaurants are available with good food. This is a very elaborate and elite winter destination for many celebrities whom own homes here.
- Enjoy and discover the various archaeological sites near Arachova like the famous temple of Delphi.
- Explore the ancient sites situated all over the city of Athens, and bring home happy memories.
The weather in December in Athens, is something that will not cause any major problems, because during the day, temperatures can be so mild, that you can get away with just wearing a sweater. Hailstorms, Rainstorms, and Snowstorms just don’t happen here.
If you are looking for a mild winter trip, come to Greece and visit Athens. A trip you won’t forget.Weather forecast for Athens, Greece
More info about Weather in Athens
- Weather in Athens in January
- Weather in Athens in February
- Weather in Athens in March
- Weather in Athens in April
- Weather in Athens in May
- Weather in Athens in June
- Weather in Athens in July
- Weather in Athens in August
- Weather in Athens in September
- Weather in Athens in October
- Weather in Athens in November
- Weather in Athens in December