Private taxi tours from Katakolon to Ancient Olympia
Your Katakolon taxi will take you from Katakolon port to Ancient Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic Games in the heart of the Peloponnese Peninsula. After a short visit to the Mercouri Winery, your taxi driver will take you back to Katakolon.
Katakolon Port and Katakolon Town
Cruise Ships call at the hospitable port of Katakolon, which is situated at the western edge of Greece’s Peloponnese Peninsula. Katakolon is the gateway to Olympia and its archeological site, where the ancient Olympic Games were held.
Katakolon is a small seaside village, quite vivid and busy, mostly due to the ships and tourists that flock the area. The center of the village is within a gulf overlooking the Ionian Sea, while small hills with forests and lush greenery surround it. The village of Katakolon seems quite impressive with its lighthouse found in the southwest entrance of the port when approaching it by boat.
Olympia is a unique place, featuring lush greenery and a vast array of monuments and landmarks. The most important sanctuary of God Zeus is situated here, as well as Altis and the original stadiums of the Games.
Your private taxi tour will take you to the exact location of the Olympic Games, where you can admire the grandeur of the environment and setting, where Greeks assembled for more than 1,000 years to celebrate strength, beauty and capabilities and honor the father of all gods, Zeus.
Ancient Olympia has been the center of attention during the ancient years, and still today is the starting point of the Olympic Flame that is born here, every four years prior to the new festival.
The starting line is still visible; take your position and run this historical course, competing with the athletes of the past, or simply the tourists that flock to this area.
Sightseeing tour includes also a visit to the Olympia Archaeological Museum and the Museum of the Olympic Games, where artifacts and collections related to both ancient and modern Games are housed.
The Statue of Niki (Nike, Victory) and Hermes are also found in the museum.
The Mercouri Winery is located in the Western Peloponnese in close proximity to Katakolon and Ancient Olympia.
The Mercouri estate is extensive with over 150 years of history in the production of wine, olive oil and the Corinthian grapes, also known as currants.
The estate was founded in 1864 by Theodoros Mercouris and since then it has become one of the leading wine producers in Greece, notable for the quality of its wines.
The estate welcomes groups of visitors, and lovers of wine and nature. There are tours that allow visitors to visit the facilities, taste the wines and see the amazing collections of old rural tools and instruments used in wine production.
Back to Katakolon
After the visit to the Mercouri Winery your taxi driver will take you back to the port of Katakolon where you will embark to your cruise ship.
Timetable for the Katakolo taxi tour
As soon as you disembark at Katakolon port, your taxi will be ready to take you to the archaeological site of Olympia.
- From the port of Katakolon to Ancient Olympia it will take you approximately 30 minutes.
- You will have plenty of time (2-3 hours) to walk in the archaeological site and admire the grandeur of Ancient Olympia. It is also possible to spend time in the town of Olympia for a quick meal, a refreshment or shopping for souvenirs.
- Your next (optional) stop will be at the Mercouri Winery. If you feel tired or there is not enough time, we can skip this visit.
- About 5 hours after the beginning of the tour, your taxi driver will take you back to the port of Katakolon where you will embark on your ship
What does the Katakolon Taxi Tour to Olympia include
- Taxi Tour for 1-4 people from Katakolon Port to Ancient Olympia, a visit to the Mercury Winnery, return to Katakolon Port
- An English speaking taxi driver
- Refreshments on board.
What is not included in the Katakolon Taxi Tour to Olympia
- The entrance to the archaeological site of Ancient Olympia
- A guided tour in the archaeological site of Olympia. Your taxi driver is not a licensed guide; therefore, according to the Greek regulations the taxi driver cannot accompany you in the archaeological sites or museums. There are professional and licensed guides who cooperate with us and we can arrange a private guided tour in the site at an additional charge.
- In the case that the group consists of more than 4 people, we can arrange a private tour to Olympia as follows: If the group consists of 4-5 people, we can arrange a minivan for maximum comfort from the Katakolon port. There is also a mini bus for 7-15 people. The Katakolon Tour to Olympia with minibus is a great choice for groups of 7-15 people.
- There is the chance for private guided tour at an additional charge. In the case of large groups up to 50 people, there are tour buses available, accompanied by a licensed guide. The guide fee is included in the given price.